May 11, 2014

One Bowl Chocolate Banana Muffins

 Happy Mother's Day!! I've never been quite sure what kind of 's' that is on Mother(s) Day. Does the Mother possess the day? Is it the day of plural Mothers? Do ALL the Mothers possess the day? Sorry, grammar tangent. Yay for Moms!! Mine is pretty awesome. She's a marathon running, mountain climbing, backpacking, office-birthday-cake-baking, waffles-for-teenagers making, heck of a singer, sewer, and Grandma. She's my role model. I'm a lucky girl. And if she was here, I would make her these, my current favorite muffin. 

They're also a great choice for all you daughters, sons, husbands, and Dads out there. Does baking intimidate you? It sure intimidates my Geologist. He and the boys made me pancakes this morning, basically my Mothers Day dream, but felt bad because it took him an hour. Hand that man a piece of meat and he's all over it, but baking kinda shoots his confidence in the foot. Well no worries, because this recipe literally takes one bowl, a fork, and a spatula. If you can measure out a few ingredients and stir, you're good to go! Simplest muffins I've ever made, and simply scrumptious. So grab those blackened bananas that no one wants to eat, wave the fruitflies away, and get baking for that special woman in your life!

PS- Huge apologies to all of you who have commented in oh, the past month. I've been horrible at replying. Forgive me while I catch up today, and keep commenting! I truly love your comments and I promise to do better at keeping in touch! :)


One Bowl Chocolate Banana Muffins (adapted from Fork Knife Swoon)
Printable Recipe

2 very ripe bananas (about 1 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup vegetable/canola oil
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder *Note: Special Dark or dutch-processed cocoa powder will give you richer, more chocolate-y muffins, normal cocoa will let you taste the banana AND chocolate more. It's up to you!*
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin pan.

In a large mixing bowl, use a fork to mash the banana until smooth (mostly). Add the vanilla and the egg and use the fork to stir until completely combined. Stir in the oil and buttermilk. Add the sugars and stir until smooth.

Using a spatula, stir in the cocoa powder, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until the cocoa is completely incorporated. Sprinkle the salt and baking soda over the batter and stir it in, then gently fold in the flour, followed by 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips, until just combined.

Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake for 15-17 minutes, rotating once, until a cake-tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean (They'll still look pretty fudgey). Remove from the oven and let cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes, before removing and cooling completely on a baking rack.
I've made these muffins four times in the past two weeks. They're so easy, and you probably have most of the ingredients at home already! I've made them with normal cocoa and searched around for Special Dark. If you want a muffin that's barely a few steps from being a brownie, use Special Dark.
 The boys actually liked them better with normal cocoa, because they liked tasting the banana too. Totally up to you! I loved them both ways, and I'm not even a huge chocolate fan! Although that liking seems to be slowly returning, after 9 years...
They're fluffy, sweet, plenty chocolatey no matter which cocoa you use, with lots of little bits of melty chocolate. These have made it into my top three favorite recipes of all time, and I hope you try them out! I'm going to have to turn them into a chocolate banana bread recipe too... Mmmm...

1 comment :

  1. Well, these are just beautiful, and I love to bake with buttermilk. The tip about regular cocoa and dark chocolate cocoa and the banana flavor is a good one- thanks! I'm so glad you shared these with us at Treasure Box Tuesday! It was very nice to see you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)