November 21, 2013

Apple & Cheddar Scones

I think it is pretty clear that I love food. I would say that food occupies... oh, 70 % of my thoughts during the day? Yeah, that sounds about right. There are a few things I get passionate and snobby about. Instant potatoes? Ew. Tater tot casserole? Not in my house! Quickbreads from a box? Not anymore! (Although during my first pregnancy I kind of lived on boxed muffins... leave me alone! I couldn't keep anything down!)

But on the flip side, there are a few things that true "gourmets" or "foodies" seem to take for granted that I just plain can't handle. First: odd bits of meat. Call it offal, call it whatever you want, I can't eat it. Second: Cilantro and parsley (as a garnish). I wish I could, but I can't! Third: I have a very, VERY hard time mixing sweet and savory. Gives me the heebie jeebies. But what does a good foodie do? Try new things!! This may be a teeny tiny baby step, but mixing cheese and apples in a scone... Could have been risky for wimpy little me! Guess what... I loved them!!



Apple & Cheddar Scones (adapted from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (or 1 1/2 cups flour plus 1 tsp baking powder & 1/2 tsp salt)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
4 Tb (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cold & cut into chunks
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 apple, peeled, cored, and grated, about 1 cup
1/2 cup milk, plus 1-2 Tb

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter/line a baking sheet and set aside.

Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in the butter until there are no pieces larger than a small pea.  Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Add the apple and mix well to coat the apple bits with flour. Pour in the milk and stir together with a fork to make a soft dough. Add another Tb or two to incorporate all floury bits.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into 8 rounds. Press the scraps together and repeat as necessary. Place onto the baking sheet, leaving some space in between. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over top of them all.

Bake in the heated oven for 15 minutes, until well risen and golden brown. Scoop off onto a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
 I used an amazing white cheddar from Costco. It may not photograph as well, but it is one of my favorite cheddars I've ever tasted!
Barely crunchy on the outside, soft and flakey on the inside... a little lighter than the scones I'm used to, somewhere between a biscuit and a scone, really...
Lots of nutty, sharp cheese with a hint of sweet apples, these are delicious! And addicting. Joe has wolfed down three of them already, and he's the picky one of the family! I'm seriously tempted to try some honey on these...

3 comments :

  1. You know, I can't stand scones, but these look good. I have a hard time getting over the dry, doughy consistency of them. I might have to take your lead and give them a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Hilary, you must never have had a good scone! Good scones are flaky lightly moist and delicious. Just a little heavier than a good biscuit. You've got to try one of my scone recipes! While these are good, the Ginger Chocolate Chip Scones (http://dimplesanddelights.blogspot.com/2012/09/ginger-chocolate-chip-scones.html) are my favorite. Its a base recipe I've used for lots of different variations, so add or remove any of the chips, or ginger, or nuts, or anything! You'll love them (I hope!) :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed April. I love scones in any way shape or form. Have you tried my cinnamon roll scones? To DIE FOR! Seriously! It was so fun chatting the other day. We must do it again soon. Good luck on your move! Will be thinking of you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)