October 29, 2013

Creamy Steel-Cut Oatmeal

I found the coolest thing waiting in my mailbox for me this morning!!
Isn't it awesome?? It's my new phone case! My friend Beth does henna, and is expanding to decorating items for her Etsy shop, Henna By Beth. She was so nice to get me exactly the same phone case I already have (because I am in love with it) and decorate it for me! I now own a one-of-a-kind work of art! She's adding lots to her store these days, from baby clothes to canvases to Christmas ornaments. I go through and browse every couple of days... I'm eyeing a few things... Go check it out!




Creamy Steel-Cut Oatmeal (inspired by Cooks Illustrated)
Printable Recipe

3 cups water
1 cup whole milk (you can mix a bit of cream with your milk if you don't have whole on hand. I had nonfat, so I used half milk and half cream)
1 Tb unsalted butter
1 cup steel-cut oats
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Bring water and milk to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, heat butter in a skillet over medium heat until just beginning to foam; add oats and cook, stirring constantly, until golden and toasty, 2-3 minutes.

Stir toasted oats into the milk and water, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered and unstirred until oatmeal thickens to a gravy-ish texture, about 20 minutes. Gently stir in vanilla, salt and spices. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, oatmeal is thick and creamy, about 10-15 more minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings!
Instant oatmeal is one thing. This is a whole different level. This is breakfast comfort food at it's very best! The Geologist came home from one of his trips raving about the oatmeal he had at the hotel. Who raves about hotel oatmeal?! I have a feeling he's never had real oatmeal before. So I said I'd make him some!
This recipe really is perfect. I added a few extra touches and skipped a silly Cooks step or two (actually, I followed the recipe to a T, then skipped the unnecessary steps for you) and voila, heavenly oatmeal. We just topped ours with brown sugar and fresh apples, but you could add just about anything you want!
This oatmeal turns out smooth, rich and creamy, but not gluey or gloppy or overpowering. The extra bit of toasty flavor is scrumptious, and those little chewy oatey nuggets make it feel like real food! I think little Stephen ate more of it than all of us combined... Man can that kid eat these days... Anyway. Not too much fuss and bother, just right for these dropping temperatures!

5 comments :

  1. I Love Love Love steel cut oatmeal! Yummy! Your phone case is really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! Try this method, you'll be in heaven! You should go check out her other phone cases :) She takes custom orders too!
      ~April

      Delete
  2. Your oats look really delish April, and I am loving your phone case! I would love your phone! lol Love you. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Henna! I tried to check out the site and the link didn't work. Do you have an actual web address? I would love to check out her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.etsy.com/shop/hennabybeth

      That's odd, it worked for me! No matter, here's the address anyway. I hope you really do go check her out! She's pretty awesome :)
      ~April

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)