March 21, 2013

Sweet Cream & Chocolate Marble Loaf

Source: Pinterest

It's that time of year again, folks! The Anne of Green Gables marathon has begun. For those of you tuning in lately, Anne of Green Gables is my second favorite book of all time, a very very close second to Jane Eyre. As a series, it's absolutely my favorite. And I usually read it all the way through once, sometimes twice a year. I'll finish a book, and for some reason, I just need some Green Gables time. And I love her so much that I have to then finish the whole series. 

As I started it last night, and got through the scene where they tell Anne she can't stay because she's not a boy, "lightning struck my brain." 

Anne is an orphan.

Most of you are thinking, "Well, yeah, and?" But sometime in the next few months, I'm about to adopt a little girl. And she will be exactly Anne's age. 

If you've ever had a book make itself at home in your heart and soul, you might have an inkling of what this means for me. Growing up, I wanted to be Anne. She was a core influence in my love of the fanciful, mystical, and joyous. The little wonderful things all around us. I know, I know, she's not real, and life isn't that perfect. But the thought that I could give a little girl like Anne a home, and help her bloom, and become herself, and heal her lonely little heart... Honestly, I don't really have the words to describe how incredible that is. 

Sorry for getting all deep on you two whole days in a row! I'm an emotional rollercoaster. :) Besides, seeing as how I have no experience with either adolescents, girls (besides being one), adoption, etc, I'm pretty sure I'll be sharing more and more of that journey with you, and asking for help and input, so might as well start now! After all, what are blogging friends for?? Because I firmly believe we are for more than just making each other feel good about our recipes and pretty pictures. :)


Sweet Cream & Chocolate Marble Loaf (adapted from Pinch of Yum)
Printable Recipe

1 ¼ cup flour
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ can sweetened condensed milk
⅓ cup milk (I actually used half milk, and half heavy cream)
1 beaten egg
⅓ cup melted butter, slightly cooled
1 1/2 Tb cocoa powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and/or line a loaf pan with nonstick spray/ parchment paper.

Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a medium bowl. Add the vanilla, sweetened condensed milk, milk, egg, and melted butter. Stir until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, reserving about ½ cup of the batter. Whisk cocoa powder into the remaining ½ cup batter. Pour the chocolate batter over the regular batter and marble with the tip of a knife, making “s” motions throughout the batter until the two batters are swirled together in a nice pattern. Tap a few times on your counter (or table) to release any air bubbles, and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
All right, so I didn't do the greatest job of swirling... But it still turned out yummy! I also flattened the top a bit... I decided to add chocolate chips when I started, then forgot as I put it in the oven... so when I yanked it back out 6 minutes later and sprinkled them on, well, it flattened. That's okay, they were necessary!
I've never baked anything with sweetened condensed milk, so I wasn't sure what it would be like, but it was yummy! Creamy, sweet, and vanilla-y, with plenty of chocolate flavor in the swirl (or puddle, in my case!) Not rich and decadent, but definitely chocolate.
The bread is soft and delicious. This is a perfect after-school-snack kinda bread. Not super duper sweet, but special. And of course, topped with chocolate chips!

1 comment :

  1. I could see you AS Anne. Only a little less air-head-ish. :) I think you'd be a great mom to a pre-teen girl, guiding her to become herself rather than trying to become those around her. Good luck as you embark on this adoption journey. I hope things go quickly and joyfully for you ALL!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)