March 13, 2013

Oven-Fried Chicken

I may have made a huge mistake... This weekend we were looking for a movie to watch as a family, and ended up picking The Prince of Egypt. (We skipped a few scenes) As soon as it started, I was in tears. By the end of the first song, I was practically bawling. I got online and ordered a copy before the movie was over. One of the greatest soundtracks in history, and one of the best and most sensitive depiction of a Biblical story I've seen. Anyway, the boys LOVED it, and keep wanting to watch it. The problem is, no matter how many times they watch it, I cry! Sheesh. I'm a bawling musical mess. Oh well. It's a good cry, right?

The sun is out again! It's supposed to be nice and warm today, I think we'll take the beastie out for a romp. Oh, and I have to get more Biscoff cookies, that banana bread I'm posting Friday is insanely delicious. I need to make another loaf... or three... :) But today, Chicken!


Oven-Fried Chicken
Printable Recipe

1-2 pounds of your preferred chicken parts (breasts, drumsticks, etc)
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
1 Tb paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

buttermilk and seasoned salt for marinating

First, prepare your chicken. We liked it much better with the skin removed, but if you're a skin person, go ahead and leave it on! place chicken pieces in a large bowl, sprinkle generously with seasoned salt, and pour buttermilk over all. There should be enough buttermilk to cover the chicken about half-way. Toss to mix and fully coat each chicken piece. Let marinate for 45 min to an hour, tossing again halfway through. (You can skip the marinating if you're in a hurry, but it makes the meat juicier and more flavorful)

When you're ready to cook, pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Combine flour and spices in a shallow dish. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour.

Turn on your broiler. Place the chicken pieces in a rimmed baking dish, with enough room that the pieces aren't touching. Drizzle the melted butter over and around the chicken. Broil for 20 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook for 15 more minutes. Let rest for a few minutes, and serve!
Okay, so it doesn't LOOK that fabulous. The ones we tried with skin on were more attractive, but these had LOTS better flavor! Mouthwatering, fabulous flavor.
And obviously, this is not a healthy oven-fried chicken. But much easier than deep frying! And faster too. 
The spices bake directly on to the meat, and as long as you keep an eye on it, it stays juicy and delicious!
I used to make this all the time when I was a newlywed, it's been years! Time to put it back in the rotation, I think!

2 comments :

  1. Oh I think it DOES look fabluous!! Makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fabulously delish April! I'll be right over!! (I wish!) I need to make this for us now. WE would both love it I am sure. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)