March 30, 2013

Frosted Oatmeal Cookies

Thursday was one of the greatest nights of my life. My very first concert!! The Geologist is a concert veteran,  he went to dozens in his crazy teenage years, but I've never had the chance. In fact, he invited me to a Collective Soul concert once, but I was babysitting that night. Sigh. So he bought me tickets to see Lindsey Stirling for Christmas!! True, I had to wait 4 months to actually see her, but it was worth the wait!



So we show up at 6:45 (doors open at 7) and there was already a line over 3 blocks long!! And boy, the crowd... quite the mix of characters! Everyone from Mormon grandparents to goth chicks and tattooed biker-looking guys. I had no idea she had such wide appeal!! The Geologist got me all anxious with stories of sketchy concert people, so I left my wallet in the car... along with my ID!
No drinking for me!! I actually loved this, it made me feel like a teenager again. That and my sparkly shoes. No one wants to go to a hip hop/rock star/violinist concert and feel like a boring old Mom!

The theater was packed to the rafters by the time she came on stage, and then she blew the roof off!! I had no idea what to expect, but she was even better in person than in her videos! Crazier dance moves, awesome alternative arrangements of her songs, a few new covers... she did a Michael Jackson medley that was my favorite number of the night. She was so sweet, and funny, and an incredible performer! My face hurt by the end because I couldn't stop grinning. It. Was. Awesome. 
Sorry, this is the best picture I got! There's only so much a phone can do :)

There were two older couples standing right in front of us... one couple were having a blast, and getting into the concert with us, the other couple were miserable. I couldn't help but wonder why they were there! And of course, I bought a t-shirt. Isn't it awesome?! I think I'm going to live in it for about a week!!

PS- Denver was the only city she had more than one show in, and we sold them out so fast she did THREE!

Even the Geologist, who thinks Lindsey's songs all sound the same if you play them in a row, and who has been to a zillion concerts, said this one was awesome. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one completely "geeking out"!


Frosted Oatmeal Cookies (adapted from Shugary Sweets)
Printable Recipe

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 cup quick oats
2 cup flour (I used white whole wheat flour. You could use all-purpose or wheat flour instead)

For the Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In food processor or blender, pulse oatmeal until partly ground. Not into a powder, just into finer pieces. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat butter and sugars together until well mixed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Mix in vanilla. Add remaining ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.

Roll the dough into 1 1/2-2 Tb balls and place on a greased/lined baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want them. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
Whisk frosting ingredients together until thick and smooth. Frost each cookie and let it sit till the frosting hardens. (Put them in the fridge to speed this up!)
These are the much yummier homemade version of those classic crunchy store-bought oatmeal cookies. But once you make these, you'll never buy them again!!
They are deeeelicious!! Yummy spices in a crunchy cookie full of toasty oats, with that creamy cinnamon frosting... an after-school classic! I love Shugary Sweets, she has some fabulous recipes! I urge you to go take a peek!
And then make yourself a batch of these babies. They won't last long, that's for sure!
 I'm freezing a batch in dough-ball form for another week. :)

2 comments :

  1. Hi April! The concert sounded great and cookies look awesome! Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great music and tasty cookies what more could a person ask for! I have been to a few concerts in my lifetime. The very first one I ever went to was one by The Stampeders (look them up, Sweet City Woman) when I was still in high school. What a great Buzz. Since then I have seen Lionel Hampton, Chuck Mangione, Frank Mills and my favourite all time, Tanya Tucker (with Aaron Tippin opening for her) Live concerts are the best. The energy is always amazing! Happy Easter to you, the Geologist and your sweet little boys! Hope you are back to feeling a hundred percent now! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)