December 16, 2012

Change of Plan: Mini Egg Nog Muffins

Sorry friends!! I know I promised you Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls, but I kinda ruined them. I'll whip up a better batch for you next week, I promise! To tide you over I'll preview a recipe that was supposed to be on next week's Christmas Treats list.

Deep thoughts of the day: There have been quite a few hotly-discussed issues on Facebook lately. It feels like every since the election, people still feel the need to argue about something. Now, I'm not dismissing anyone's views or feelings. It just makes me think. For me, Facebook is a tool that I use to keep track of people I love, dear friends and family that live far away. I love being able to know what's going on in their lives, and drop them a line anytime I like. I try not to use it to state strong opinions that might be offensive to others.

So because I don't join the fray, I vent my feelings to my husband, and like the perfect friend that he is, he listens. And the core of so many problems I am seeing seems to be this: lack of forgiveness. The ability to let things go, to move on, to not make mountains out of molehills. To assign the blame for the actions of one, to the many. I realize that deep hurt is caused, I am not just telling everyone to "grow up". But no matter how awful your experiences, there comes a time when it is best for everyone, including you, to forgive, and let go of the hurt and anger. I do speak from some experience, too. There is just no point in constantly spreading the hurt and anger around. I suppose I feel it more keenly in this season, which is supposed to be one of love, comfort, forgiveness, service, and JOY!! Most especially JOY! So to sum up, I'm not judging. I am not telling you to do anything. Just sharing my thoughts, and wishing you all joy. And to me, the best way to be open to joy, is to let go of anger. Just a bit. :) (PS-This is in NO WAY referring to the tragedy in Connecticut)


Mini Egg Nog Muffins (adapted from Shugary Sweets)
Printable Recipe

3 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup butter softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup eggnog

For the Glaze:
1/2 cup eggnog
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3 cup powdered sugar
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together. Set aside.

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Slowly add in flour mixture (in 3 batches) and eggnog (in 2 batches) alternating and mixing till just combined between each.
Lightly spray mini muffin cup pan with baking spray. Mostly fill muffin cups and bake for 13-15 minutes. Cool completely. (You could probably make these as normal size muffins, they would take longer to bake. And only fill the cups 2/3 of the way)
Whisk together eggnog, nutmeg and powdered sugar. Dip tops of muffins into glaze and allow to set (about 15 minutes). ENJOY!
These were a lot of fun to make! And they're just so CUTE! My very first mini-muffin experience. I love them. They were a hit at our church Christmas party, too!
They remind me of the little dancing mushrooms in the Nutcracker section of "Fantasia." When I was little, my siblings and I would dance along with the movie, and now my boys do. The mushrooms are my favorite. 
They are warm and nutmeggy (with some backup support from his friends cinnamon and ginger of course!) Not cakey-sweet, with that delicious eggnog glaze. I love how the little puddled glaze bits stay on, like little feet!
Okay, maybe I shouldn't be attributing so many adorable properties to these scrumptious little muffins, or you might not eat them! And you should definitely eat them. After admiring their adorableness. 
They freeze very well, and make a ton, so you could pop some out for Christmas breakfast! That's the plan around here!

6 comments :

  1. What a lovely Christmassy treat! so creative to think of egg nog muffins - they look delicious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad says he wants some, and you should send him some...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! I will have to try these over Christmas!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eggnog and look forward to the Christmas season each year so I can drink eggnog ... eating eggnog sure sounds like a good idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh look at them . . . sooooooo cute! MUST make. MUST make. MUST make! I love egg nog anything. Can you believe when I was a child my mom would make us eggnog for a treat, using raw eggs and we loved it. It never killed us either! Wouldn't dream of doing it now! Times change. Love you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)