November 4, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake

Do you ever feel like you've disappeared in your own life? As if the day-to-day, errands, chores, appointments, meals, homework, house, family... they just take over, and there isn't any of you left? You may be doing a stellar job getting everything done, but at the end of the day, you still feel unsettled, or a bit down? This has never happened to me before... until this week, I have lived a relatively hectic-busy-ness-free life. 

See, having insurance is a glorious thing. First dentist appointment in seven years, right here!! The only problem is, I scheduled appointments with everyone and everything, every single day this past week. Some doubled up. And in between still had to run errands, buy and make food, make sure the poor Beast finally had some exercise... and I kind of lost myself. (Kind lost my mind a little too... I punched my fridge!! Eeek!!) 

Somehow I didn't do anything I wanted to do. Little things, like blogging without a desperate deadline or the tiniest smidge of guilt from the Geologist (because I 'm supposed to do that in the morning!!), or walk to school with the boys. It was rough, and it took me all week to realize why. So it's my own fault! And now I know. And I am sure, in the future, when the boys have sports and cello (Joe) and dance (Stephen) that life WILL be busier. But I'm hoping it will be a bit more gradual, and I'll be able to handle it then! 

For healing, we had a wonderful, peaceful, comfy day at home. (After chiropractor appointments) Drove through a few neighborhoods we're in love with, sanded a rocking chair, changed the light bulbs in my kitchen, and made something yummy. I feel much better, restored even! Barely got pictures taken before the sun went down, but it's okay. *Deep Sigh*


Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake (adapted from Bunny's Warm Oven)
Printable Recipe

1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick) at room temperature
2 eggs (if doubling, just add one egg)
slightly heaping 1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Pumpkin Layer:
1 cup pumpkin (half of a can)
slightly heaping 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 egg
1/4 cup evaporated milk

Topping:
2 1/2 Tb butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup nuts (I used roasted, unsalted almonds, you could use walnuts or pecans instead!)

Butter or spray an 8x8 baking pan or dish. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Whisk flour, salt, powder, soda, and nutmeg together in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating after each. Mix in  flour and sour cream in alternation (flour, sour cream, flour, sour cream, flour)

Whisk together all pumpkin filling ingredients until smooth in separate bowl. 
Pour half of the first batter into the prepared pan. Smooth into the corners.
Top with ALL of the pumpkin batter, smoothing over the top. 
Pour the rest of the first batter over the pumpkin, or spoon out on top. Smooth it together (no worries, it will mix a bit, that's okay! We're not going for perfection!)
In a small bowl, stir together all topping ingredients, except butter, with a fork. Rub the butter in with your fingers, to make streusel-ish lumps.
Sprinkle over the top of your cake.
Bake for 40-50 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
Crunchy golden-brown streusel packed with nuts and a whiff of spices on top...
Coffee cake AND pumpkin pie underneath! Two desserts in one!
Mmmm, yummy streusel... I think it is one of baking's greatest achievements, honestly! Stephen thinks so too. He'll eat almost anything topped with streusel. Except mushrooms. 
MY favorite part is the warm, buttery, nutmeggy coffee cake layer. Perfect!! But add that pumpkin layer and WOWEE. It's a Fall Flavor Explosion! 
Spices and creamy pumpkin pie (basically!) plus moist tender coffee cake and crunchy, practically candied nuts. Absolute scrumptiousness. Try it. Thank you Bunny, for the best version I've seen anywhere!!

5 comments :

  1. April, glad you got your tranquillity back. I used to run round like a mad thing when I was working - and looking back I sure did pack a lot in - but I was tired to the bone which I didn't realise until I went part time - now I couldn't cope with that old busyness and live life in a slower and more comfortable lane. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I have totally had days like that. I understand your pain. Rest is so essential, but there are times in our lives where it just seems impossible. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad that our lives come down to this sometimes, right? I have had many of these days. I love the paycheck from work but I hate that work takes me away from what I really want to be doing. Then balancing that with husband time, friend time and me time is a challenge. When did these little annoyances (like doctor's appointments) get so big? I'm happy you were able to have some restorative rest after the craziness. And don't beat up your fridge. It's just chillin'. (-;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! You are so awesome April!

    ReplyDelete
  5. April, I just printed this recipe out along with the apple butter and apple cake one. Todd hates it when I print out lots of recipes, but meh! He doesn't mind eating the results! I have had a lot of weeks like that lately myself April. I don't know what is happening with the time. It just seems to be evaporating. I get up about 3 hours earlier than Todd does each day just so I can get my blogging in without disturbing him. I don't like these darker evenings . . . it plays havoc with my food photography too. I have a lamp set, but it's not natural light and I don't like it. Your photos always look so delicious to me. I love you to bits girl!! I really do! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)