October 2, 2012

Baked Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal

Well, looks like I jumped the gun a bit on that link party! No entries yet. Sigh. Oh well! I'll shelve it till I have more readers!! I'll leave this one open, just in case.

Stephen finally started work yesterday! I love having him around, but it's nice to have a schedule again. I have to re-learn all my household chores, he's been doing them ALL to keep his mind off his nervousness, and I've become a blogging-woman-of-leisure! My favorite part about this new schedule is definitely our walks to and from school. We get to follow a lovely path along a river, even under all the main streets! Joe and I explore a bit on the way home, looking for tiny side trails and bridges. What is it about bridges? Somehow they are special... you could easily imagine them leading you to magical places... or maybe that's just us. :) The fall colors are starting to take over, and we love the gold and red bits appearing in "our" woods. Joe has inherited his Grandpa's deep love of golden aspens. He calls them "sparkly trees". Bracken loves the exercise too, she's getting a bit roly-poly! In honor of our crisp, cool morning walks, here is a fabulous breakfast for fall mornings! Oatmeal has always meant School Days to me, my mom was wonderful about getting up before us and making us breakfast at least a few times a week, and I have always loved oatmeal on those cold, dark dawns before school. To be honest, sometimes I even miss school!


Baked Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal (adapted from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

120g of old fashioned rolled oats (1 1/2 cups)
2 Tbs butter
375ml of boiling water (1 1/2 cups)
375ml of milk (1 1/2 cups)
4-5 Tb brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
pinch of salt
3/4 cup apples, peeled and diced
(optional: cranberries, nuts, etc)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter/spray a square glass baking dish.

Measure the oats into a large bowl. Add the butter, and pour the boiling water over top. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the milk, apples, brown sugar, spices, and salt. (You could add dried fruits, like cranberries, other spices, maybe even chocolate chips! Hmm, what would that be like...)
Pour into the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil, bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for 10-15 minutes longer, till thickened.

Serve with milk or cream and more brown sugar and/or cinnamon.
The small Stephen and I topped ours with candied ginger too! It was scrumptious!! Sorry about the lack of other pictures, I'm going to have to make this again, and take LOTS more!! Either way, trust me that this un-photogenic oatmeal is spicy-yummy-warm-and-homey Autumn breakfast at it's best. Enjoy!

(PS-If you're brave, go for the cream. It goes from delicious to positively decadent!!)

2 comments :

  1. Oh that looks yummy! Perfect for a cold day x

    http://jo-beautyandthebooks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember my recipe for Steel Cut Oats? Did you like that?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)