October 25, 2012

Bacon & Egg Spinach Salad

Growing up, I hated salad. Pretty normal, wouldn't you say?? Then, at about 17 years old, I found out I could never eat salad (and lots of other things!) again, without pretty painful consequences. Funny how gradually, the one thing I missed more than anything else was salad. There really is no substitute for that crisp, cool mix of fresh lettuce and veggies. Ah, salad. Who craves salad, anyway?! Weirdos who don't like chocolate, apparently :) No, I'm just kidding. The chocolate came later. But salad has remained my number one craving.

Luckily, I can eat it now!! Miracle of miracles!! So it is high time to teach my boys to like it. We're starting a bit late, but hit a home run with this one. When I was a kid it was the only one I actually liked, and it still seems to be a child-pleaser. Little Stephen loved it from the first bite!! He even liked the onions!! Joe took some convincing, but about halfway through it he was sold too. Sure, you're adding bacon and eggs and cheese, so you might be lowering the health-factor a tad, but I say the awesomeness of spinach overcomes all!! :)

Bacon & Egg Spinach Salad (from my Mom)
Printable Recipe

1 pound fresh spinach
1/3 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1/4 c lemon juice
1/2 t salt
pinch of sugar
dash pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 hard cooked eggs, diced
4-6 slices crisp bacon, crumbled (save grease)
sliced mushrooms
1/2 small red onion, sliced thin

Rinse and tear spinach a bit, then chill. Marinate sliced onions in 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp sugar, and a pinch of salt for about 30 minutes. 
Combine oil, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat until it just starts to simmer. Remove from heat and stir in about a tablespoon of the bacon grease.

Toss spinach with eggs, mushrooms, bacon, and onions. Drizzle half the dressing over the salad and toss again. Top with parmesan cheese. (or toss it in too) Reserve the rest of the dressing for people to drizzle as they please. 
Ah, it was so fulfilling feeding my boys salad!! And they didn't throw fits! Well, Joe threatened, but we won him over... dessert bribes are awfully useful...
Tangy, slightly sweet dressing, tender spinach, crunchy smokey bacon...
Eggs!! I love eggs in salad. And those onions turned out super yummy too. And I don't even LIKE raw onions!!
I skipped the mushrooms for my boys, but I love having them in there usually. I am so happy to be eating salad again! I hope you try this one. It's a classic, and a winner. The End. 

7 comments :

  1. wow, I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't eat salad. Its like my balancing tool - too many croissants for breakfast? SALAD FOR LUNCH! great idea adding egg and bacon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, April! I am visiting from Cuisine Kathleen's "Let's Dish!". Congratulations on your win at her place! As an avid cook you will most definitely be able to use those new pie cut outs! I peeked in on a few of your posts, and it looks like you can really get busy in the kitchen! I wish I could bake yeast breads!!! (I'm 54 years old...all hope is lost at this point!) This salad is a great one, and I think you're right about the spinach in it outweighing the bacon and cheese! :-) My husband and I LOVE fresh spinach, and this kind of salad is one that could get a good workout at our house! I just saw your tip re: parchment paper. I just started using that, and it's such a time and effort saver! I've never used it for lining a cake pan, though, so I'll have to give that a try. You have a really nice blog. Congratulations on your win, and best wishes as you continue to post great recipes and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! this salad looks and sounds wonderful - love the addition of bacon and mushrooms
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. April, this salad looks positively scrummy! I love salad myself and cannot imagine not being able to eat it. You must tell me why you were denied this sometime. I would love to know and I am glad that it's no longer a no no for you! My children have fabulous palates and my oldest son will eat literally anything! I credit myself with that. I encouraged them to try new things and shared my enthusiasm for food and cooking and different cultures and their food the whole time they were growing up! Looks like you are doing the same thing. I love you girl. Your package is looking decidedly interesting. I can't wait until I have everything in place and it's on it's way. I was like that when my kids were small with Christmas too. I literally had to tape my mouth shut because I wanted to tell them right away what I was giving them! I am so bad that way. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. April, What a beautiful salad! I love that you are introducing your boys to a variety of foods... and your little one is adorable!!!
    Thanks for this great recipe! I have a bag of baby spinach in my frig right now and two hard boiled eggs... sounds like lunch to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!! I love it already and have yet to try it :) I love spinach, onions, mushrooms, bacon, eggs, balsamic, garlic. ha! This was meant to be had by moi!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)