June 22, 2012

Lemon Chocolate Chip Loaf

Yes, I know it's lemon again, but at least there is also chocolate this time! That pretty bowl of lemons can't go to WASTE, can they? This is a recipe I found on The English Kitchen, one of the three blogs that inspired me to start my own. You're going to see a LOT of her recipes on here, they're fantastic! So after breathing many relaxing breaths when the boys were finally in bed, I got to work. Taking pictures, experimenting with my photography, (NOT my strong suit) see how pretty?

And THEN....
 YES. That is an eggshell. I have NEVER dropped an eggshell in my mixer!! And this was the whole thing!! And instead of stopping the very slowly turning mixer and pulling it out, I just stared at it...dumbfounded...as the paddle crushed it into my perfectly fluffy room temperature butter and sugar. Its a good thing it happened early, and not later in the recipe, I have been known to drop to the floor and sob when a recipe is ruined. But not much harm done here. Start over!!
I have recently developed a love of sifting... Kinda goes along with that "folding" feeling...

 Now isn't this the most brilliant idea?! Make a little sling to pull your bread out!! I don't know about you, but no matter how I spray, or butter and flour my loaf pans, about half the time I end up with loaf stuck to the bottom. This is genius!! Thank you, Marie! Oh, I did add a teaspoon of vanilla to this recipe, I love vanilla and always add more than a recipe asks for.  :)

*Lemon Chocolate Chip Cake* (original recipe)
Printable Recipe

Makes one 9 by 5 inch loaf cake

4 ounces butter, room temperature (1/2 cup)
7 ounces caster sugar (or 1 cup super-fine granulated, see note)
3 large free range eggs
the finely grated zest of one unwaxed lemon
8 1/2 ounces flour (2 cups)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
250ml of plain Greek yoghurt (1 cup)
6 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped into bits (1 cup)
2.25 ounces chopped toasted walnuts (1/2 cup) (Optional)

Topping:
3 1/2 ounces caster sugar (1/2 cup)
the juice of 1/2 lemon
2 TBS orange liqueur
(Can use the juice of one whole lemon and leave out the liqueur)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/gas mark 5. Butter a 9 by 5 inch loaf tin. Line with baking paper, leaving an overhang for ease of removal. Butter again. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour into a bowl. Remove 2 TBS and add to the chocolate chips and nuts if using. Whisk the remaining flour together with the lemon zest, soda, baking powder and salt. Add at once to the creamed mixture along with the yoghurt (and I added 1 tsp vanilla here). Beat on high speed for several minutes. Fold in the chocolate and nut mixture. Spread into the prepared pan, leveling the top with a rubber spatula.

Bake for 60 to 75 minutes, (mine was done at 45, so check often) until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes while you make the topping.

Place all the topping ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour this slowly over the hot cake, allowing it to soak in. Lift out and allow to cool completely before cutting into slices to serve.
Mine didn't turn out quite as pretty as Marie's (though her pictures are far better than mine anyway!) but it tastes fantastic!! Not as sweet as I thought it would be, a hint of lemon, amazingly moist. I love moist cakes. By the way, that parchment sling worked like a charm!! I just loosened the sides a bit with a plastic spatula and it popped right out! Hopefully a few slices for the boys will restore harmony after naptime. After all, I put chocolate in it for THEM, for crying out loud!
Note: you can use normal granulated sugar for this recipe, but it won't rise as high (like mine) To get a better rise, use ultra-fine sugar, which you can find at any grocery store.

2 comments :

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)